Thursday, June 26, 2014

Being a Good Neighbor

The past two days we've been rehearsing with a hip hop band in a church in Kadiköy, İstanbul.  We started at 10 and went until 5ish each day.  To start the whole thing off there was some discussion of whether we could use the sanctuary or if we had to go down to the basement because they were getting a new air conditioner installed.  It was settled that we would set up in the half of the room that was away from where the A/C installers would be working.  We were all set and chugging happily along.  Beats were dropping and lyrics flying.  Then we got told to turn it down.  I was disappointed, especially since I hadn't hit the volume yet that we would be using for performances.  I had barely touched the subwoofers (the big speakers that thump).  Right then and there I turned the subs off.

For those techies out there who are interested, the offending system is 4 QSC K12 mains, a home grown pair of EAW FR250z knockoffs powered be a QSC  ex4000 at 720w per side, a Mackie SRM450 monitor.   All told what to do by a Yamaha 01v96 v2.  (I know, but it works)

After turning it down I had to find out why.  Turns out the neighbors were complaining, enthusiastically complaining.  My worldly gut reaction was, "Well forget that!  If they're going to be grumpy about it anyway, let's just crank it and give them something to be grumpy about."  That thought lasted long enough for me to smirk and imagine plaster falling off the walls as I let the subs get some exercise.  After a little chuckle my mind went back to wanting to be a good neighbor and an example of grace and mercy.  I would accommodate them as much as I could and just turn things up enough for the performers to be able to hear themselves, but not enough to get an idea of what a full concert would feel like.

Then I found out more.  This new air conditioner that was being installed as we practiced could only be run for 5 hours on Sunday for the same reason that we had to turn down.  The neighbors don't like the sound of the air conditioner outside their window.  Because of this every other meeting that happens in this church building will not have A/C.  It was 95 and humid yesterday.


This irked me and now I'm trying to figure out, in the cultural context of İstanbul Turkey, where do you draw the line?  Within the context of a biblical worldview is there even a line to be drawn?   I want to say that at some point the Christian needs to stand up and assert themselves to illustrate their own self worth.  However since that self worth is based on Christ, the assertion must involve service to Christ.  If this is the case we would have been justified in practicing at a proper volume.  This is something I'll be thinking about over a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment